Tuesday 17 April 2012

Vancouver & Seattle

Killing off 9hrs in a city I didnt know turned out to be very tricky. Spent most of my morning in a shopping mall running some errands. Went to Stanley Park which is well known in Vancouver as the place to go if you are a tourist. Was a nice parkland similar to ones you would see in London. It also had an aquarium where I thought I would blow the last of my Canadian dollars seeing. Got to see Dolphins and Beluga whales perform which was pretty cool. Didnt stay long as I had to rush to go get the Monorail to go meet my grandpa's half brothers grandson (very confusing). Met up with him and went back to his family's house for dinner. This is a side of the family that I never knew existed and they had no idea I existed. Had a really great time talking about the family connections and how weird it was to finally meet.

The next morning I got the bus to Seattle. I probably shouldnt have been such  an idiot at the border by poking fun at the Americans high security. I was talked down to by two officers who both had massive hand guns and fists like melons. I was asked 100's of questions and they almost stopped me because I had no proof of leaving America (I have printed the flight itinerary yet). They did let me through and got me to do an eyeball scan and finger scan so that they know when my prints come up they know im leaving the country. I kept the whole bus up. Kinda need to stop pretending the British accent will get me through any situation.

Arrived in Seattle station downtown in the pouring rain. I had to trek all the way up to a street just to get a bus to head to the university where I would meet a friend. I was an hour late but I've made it and am now pretty much passing out on the sofa.
Next stop tomorrow at 6 in the morning, San Francisco, a 23hr train journey! I do love trains but I fear I wont be saying that when I have got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment